Change of registration of a vehicle
If you are moving to Germany with a vehicle registered to you abroad, you must register this vehicle with the relevant regulatory authority, at the town hall, Markt 15.
In addition to your identity document/passport, you will need:
- foreign vehicle documents in the original,
- foreign registration plates in the case of vehicles still registered or proof of deregistration abroad,
- certificate of a valid general inspection (original),
- Certificate of Conformity (COC) in the original, or a certificate according to § 21 of the Road Traffic Licensing Regulation (StVZO) or § 13 of the EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval Regulation (ECWVTA) for granting an individual permit,
- electronic insurance confirmation,
- SEPA direct debit mandate for direct debit of the vehicle tax,
- for all vehicles from non-EU countries: proof of customs clearance.