Telefon: +358 5 234 4424
Springe direkt zu:
Our twinning relationship reaches as far back as 1959. Kotka and Greifswald are brought together by our shared proximity to the sea and maritime life – our twin city get-togethers frequently take place at the Fischerfest (Fisherman’s Festival) in Greifswald or the Maritime Festival in Kotka. The relationship between the two cities is largely based on the commitment of citizens who make regular trips to the north or to Greifswald. After half a century, we can point to various German-Finnish activities in the cultural and sporting field. The Kotka-Greifswald Association was founded in Kotka in 1991 and is actively involved in the twin city exchange.
Kotka was founded by Tsar Alexander II in 1878, and now has a population of almost 55,000. The location of the city across islands and the mainland gives it a very special maritime charm. Today, Kotka is one of the most important port cities in Finland.
The large Aquarium Maretarium and the wave-shaped "Merikeskus" (sea centre) museum complex with the Finnish Sea Museum and the Regional Museum of Kymenlaakso, are just some of the city's attractions.
There is a Chair of Finnish Studies at the Ernst Moritz Arndt University in the University and Hanseatic City of Greifswald. The professor, Prof. Pantermöller, is chairman of the German-Finnish Society of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern e.V. .