menu and service Hansestadt Greifswald

jump to:

content menu search
Suche: Suchfeld öffnen / Suchfeld schließen
open/close menu


Market and Fisch Market

 The size of Greifswald market is impressive. Lausitz granite stretches out like a “finely woven carpet” over 11,000 square metres. The current market design was the result of an architects’ competition, whose winning design was realised on the occasion of the city’s 750th anniversary. The Gothic storehouses with living quarters, the town houses with their multi-coloured façades, the old town hall and the apothecary had already been renovated at this time. They provide the market and its inviting street cafés with an impressive setting. In 2014, the city council moved into the former Imperial post office building, which was opened in 1886. Trading already took place on this square in the 13th century. Markets and numerous different events take place here today. Things are a little bit more tranquil on the Fish Market. The sculptor Jo Jastram created the figures for the “Fischerbrunnen” fountain. When Caspar David Friedrich came to Greifswald on honeymoon with his wife Caroline in 1818, he immortalised Greifswald’s market square in his watercolour of the same name. It hangs in the Pomeranian State Museum.


Town Hall


The “first house” on the square has been boasting an oxblood coat of paint since its extensive renovation at the end of 1999. It was given this in line with the medieval Brick Gothic as the start of construction of the building probably was around 1340. The town hall was first mentioned in documents as “Kophus” in 1369. A Medieval ribbed vault is preserved in the cellar. The building was severely damaged during the two great city fires in 1713 and 1736. With its reconstruction in 1738 it largely received the form it takes today, now decorated by striking Dutch gables. The Baroque design of the former council chamber, which is now used as a registry office and for official receptions, also originates from this era. The Medieval arcades on the eastern side were opened in the 1930s. The tourist information office is based here.